The outline for the AM sermon for April 5, 2020, can be accessed here:
PRINTABLE PDF VERSION (preferred to the outline below) CLICK the TITLE:
April 5, 2020 – AM: Psalm 42
Proposition Statement: I want to show you the ache and sadness of the psalmist as he was prevented from public worship and how you must respond to his concern penned for you.
I. The Psalmist’s Problem
A. Absence from Worship (42:2b, 4, 5) –
David Clarkson,“in his sermon, “Public Worship to be Preferred Before Private,” presents twelve reasons to demonstrate that public worship is more important than private:
1. The Lord is more glorified by public worship than private.
2. There is more of the Lord’s presence in public worship than in private.
3. God manifests himself more clearly in public worship than in private.
4. There is more spiritual advantage in the use of public worship.
5. Public worship is more edifying than private.
6. Public worship is a better security against apostasy than private.
7. The Lord works his greatest works in public worship.
8. Public worship is the nearest resemblance of heaven.
9. The most renowned servants of God have preferred public worship before private.
10. Public worship is the best means for procuring the greatest mercies, and preventing and removing the greatest judgments.
11. The precious blood of Christ is most interested in public worship.
12. The promises of God are given more to public worship than to private.
B. Actions of Enemies (42:3b, 9, 10)
1. The godless taunt (42:3, 10) –
2. The godless oppress (42:9) –
II. The Psalmist’s Attitude
A. A deep longing (42:1, 2a, 4) –
1. A panting soul (42:1) –
2. A thirsty soul (42:2a) –
3. A burdened soul (42:4) –
B. A deep grief (42:3a, 5, 9, 11)
1. A crying heart (42:3a) –
2. A distressed heart (42:5,11) –
3. A forgotten heart (42:9a) –
4. A mournful heart (42:9b) –
C. A singular solution – he hopes in God. He turns to him for comfort. He looks to the day when he will gather with God’s people. He comforts himself in the knowledge of his God.
III. A Pastor’s Plea – April 10th / day of prayer and fasting / There is much for this church to learn during this time. I pastor this church and I am charged with your well-being. I plead with you to utilize this day as called by your elders to pray, mediate, and repent of sin.
1. Pray –
2. Meditate –
3. Repent –